Call Oxford:  01865777676
Call Reading:  01189511782
Call Swindon: 01793267430
Call Wembley:  02089009990
Call Abingdon:  01865689232
Call Stourbridge: 01212968881

Restricted Licence Courses

Triumph Trident T150V

Information about getting a full licence

Restricted Licence (A2) courses are suitable for people with all levels of experience. To qualify you must have and be the following:

  • 19 years old (unless you have taken an A1 Light Motorcycle Licence and waited 2 years)
  • Have a provisional or full UK car licence
  • Have a valid Motorcycle Theory Test pass certificate & CBT certificate (unless you have waited 2 years from taking an A1 Light Motorcycle Licence) – we can provide these as part of the course
  • If you have taken an A1 Light Motorcycle Licence and have waited a full 2 years
  • Take your tests on a motorcycle that is at least 245cc, with between 20 – 35kw – we can provide this

A Restricted Licence means that you will be able to ride any motorcycle that you want when you have passed your tests, provided it does not exceed 35kw or be derived from a motorcycle that originally had more than 70kw. You will be able to take a passenger and you will be able to ride on a motorway. After 2 years you will be able to upgrade to a full DAS licence.

We offer four Restricted A2 courses, with the principal criteria being that the more previous experience you have the shorter the course. All the courses include motorcycle hire if you need it, clothing and equipment, tuition and Module 1 & 2 motorcycle tests. They also all come with or without Motorcycle Theory Test and CBT depending on whether you have done these already:

Definition of experience

NONE (NOVICE) – total novice who has never been on a motorcycle, or only for a few minutes, or just an Introductory Lesson. Novice Course.

MINIMAL (INTERMEDIATE) – someone who has ridden on holiday, or only automatics, or has only done the CBT and nothing else; we would expect this person to be able to pull away, stop, start and change gear as a minimum. Intermediate Course.

SOME (EXPERIENCED) – someone who has either done their CBT on a geared motorcycle and ridden regularly for six months or more, or has ridden off-road on smaller scramblers for a long time. Experienced Course.

LOTS (EXPERT) – someone who has ridden larger motorcycles (above 250cc) before, either moto-cross or on a foreign licence. In other words, quite comfortable getting onto a larger motorcycle. Expert Course.

If you are not sure which course would suit you best, please use our Step-by-Step Guide.

If you are still unsure which course will suit you best take advantage of our Introductory Lesson where we can assess your skills and advise you of the most suitable course for your needs.

Cost of Re-Testing

All the prices quoted include motorcycle/scooter/moped hire, fuel, insurance, safety helmet, gloves, motorcycle jacket and waterproofs (unless otherwise stated). The cost also includes, where applicable, the CBT, Theory Test and Motorcycle Test (Module 1 and 2). In the event you do not pass your Module 1 Test you can retake one during your next session at a cost of £15.50 (this may require the date to be moved), if you have no further sessions booked you will need to pay £15.50 plus the cost of the session. If you do not pass your Module 2 Test you will need to pay £75 plus the cost of another session. In the case of the CBT if you don’t complete the course in one day all further training is charged at £135.00 per day including motorcycle/scooter/moped hire. 9 out 10 people who have taken a test through Lightning Motorcycle Training now hold a full licence smiley